Furniture is expected to fulfill many roles during the lifetime of its use in a healthcare setting. DMA4Families and our TMC Healthcare Furniture line has become the standard choice for chairs and tables at many hospitals. DMA4Families supports the idea of going through a short list of principal questions before any piece of hospital furniture is ever purchased:
- Can the furniture be cleaned and disinfected?
- Will the tables and chairs be comfortable, while also adding visual appeal and interest to the space?
- And for the areas of a hospital specifically for children and families, is the furniture colorful, fun, and inviting?
- Will it make kids and parents smile and relax while in the space?
The answers are important. But DMA4Families takes it even further by endorsing four additional factors for consideration in the selection of standard tables and chairs. This should occur both during the research and final review process.
Is the furniture built to last? Hospital furniture needs to be durable, and made of high quality products which are resistant to staining and scratching. All tables and chairs should be made of material that is easily disinfected, and can be cleaned with any standard hospital product. If the tables and chairs are made of wood, the finish on the furniture should be sealed with a high quality clear lacquer to stop the growth of microorganisms. Popular, colorful, but heavy duty healthcare-grade fabrics should also be offered as an upholstered seating design option. TMC works on a COM fabric basis, so the sky’s the limit for quality and creativity when selecting fabrics for upholstered pieces.
- Is the furniture user friendly? Seating has to meet patient needs for any number of uses, and in a variety of areas. Ergonomically-designed furniture at the proper chair height can ensure correct support and posture, and provide a better fit for all ages, especially for growing children. Chairs selected should be comfortable for the specific person using it, whether kids, adults, and seniors, and should also be easy to get on and off. These furnishings should provide a positive impression of the hospital if used in a waiting or play area, family lounge, cafeteria, chapel or patient room.
- Does the furniture provide a consistent aesthetic? Updating or expanding a department or facility, or even building a brand new hospital, shouldn’t mean a new look has to be created or another brand of chair has to be researched and added for every project. A selected list of high-quality “standards” will help avoid a patchwork of different interior styles within any decor or theme. This consistent design can be very attractive, while still reinforcing an organization’s overall brand, and saving time in the process.
Will this furniture lead to better material management for the long-term? Establishing a list of standard furniture will save facility staff time in researching and selecting vendors and options for future projects. An inventory of obsolete products means time and money lost. But continuing to build a consistent standardized list of chairs and other furniture approved for use, makes it easier to maintain, track, and reuse. Staff will also become familiar with the product, and know how to clean and maintain the hospital’s standard items.
Whether updating an existing area, building something new, or simply browsing for the future, DMA4Families and our TMC Healthcare Furniture line has a wide variety of options for children and adults to fit perfectly within any decor or theme. We create a positive hospital environment, and leave a lasting positive impression on patients and families, long after their visit. Find more information, here.